Memorial Institute - Barston Village Hall
Originally built as a malt house/brew house in the late 1600’s, the building and the land on which it stands, was purchased for and given to the ‘village’ in 1920. It was altered to its current layout at that time to become the Village Hall; it had previously been known as the Reading Room. The Kitchen and toilets were added later. It is a Listed Building in a Conservation Area.
Inside the Hall there is a plaque on the wall facing the entrance, commemorating the names of seventy-four villagers of Barston who fought in the Great War.
The Institute is operated as a Trust. The Trust Deed is dated 1937, it was registered with The Charity Commissioners in 1955.
Barston Memorial Hall is situated in the heart of the village of Barston, near Solihull.
Events at the Memorial Institute Hall
Situated opposite the Bulls Head, the Institute is for some local people the place they only visit at Election times! For others, it is a regular venue. Organisations such as Refresh, U3A, and the WI meet there regularly. There is a weekly Pilate’s class and the Barston Association, together with children’s birthday parties, craft fairs, coffee mornings, company training and away days etc. also make use of the Hall. All are catered for and all are welcomed and encouraged to make full use of the Institute, for a very reasonable charge.
Further details of Hall availability and Bookings please contact Caroline Hadley, Bookings Secretary on 01675 442061 or use the link below.
Management & Upkeep
The Institute is managed by a committee of villagers, a number of whom are Trustees. The annual overhead costs are around £3500 and this is generally (hopefully!) covered by Hire Income. Periodic expenditure on repairs and refurbishment, recently significant in a building nearly 450 years old, are covered by Grants and Donations. In addition there are a number of ‘Friends of the Institute’ who make, very welcome and necessary, periodic donations, usually by Standing Order.
For further information about the hall, or to make a donation towards its upkeep, or to join the ‘Friends of the Institute’, please contact us:
Tel. 01675 442616
Tel. 01675 442177